Twenty four Local 100 Dallas County School Bus drivers and Monitors ; some terminated but most still employed, met Saturday, 10/29/16, in the hopes of appealing their terminations and to ask for State Senator Royce West’s help to stop Dallas County’s continuing unfair terminations and suspensions.
Their hope quickly turned into anger and frustration when West called us to say he had another meeting and couldn’t come to ours, despite our having confirmed his attendance two days earlier. There were calls to Walk Out and Sick Out and the Drivers and Monitors immediately began strategizing the best time to do it. The State student testing day was picked as the day when DCS and the 13 school districts it provides student transportation for would be the most vulnerable to a Sick Out or walk Out.
In the end, cooler heads prevailed and the plan became to write a letter listing our issues which are:
1. Terminations and Suspensions because of red light camera tickets that go back three years and which we were never informed of until DCS needed a scapegoat to cover up their failure,
2. poorly trained Drivers,
3. Overloaded buses,
4. Unsafe buses,
5. DCS doesn’t follow its own policy.
And our demands which are:
1. Reinstate drivers who made the alleged violations,
2. Suspend the supervisors whose mis-management caused the problems.
3. Lift Driver suspensions or show proof.
4. Reimburse our lost wages,
5. Give us the right to face our accusers and send this letter to the Board members at DCS and all the school districts it serves.
6. And set up informational picket